Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Pick o the week + concert of the year = THE GOSSIP



So we saw The Gossip at the Iron Horse in Northampton Monday night, and they were SO hot. ON FIRE. I had heard they were a good live band, but they just blew my expectations out of the murky puddle of water they were in. The greatest part was that it was obviously just so natural for them, they were doing what they do best- punky rock’n’roll blues. The lead singer, Beth Ditto was singing the Gospel, her voice was so amazing. Brace Paine was strangling his guitar and hitting it low and hard, and all the while Hannnah Blilie was keeping those drums in line, snap!
The crowd was getting down and sweaty and I just have to mention that it was pretty intense to see a “queercore” band in a queer town like Northampton (Hello, Smith, Mt. Holyoke!). I don’t think I’ve been in a room with so many females (90% XX?) in, like, ever.

Here is their myspace page
And official site

And because I am not satisfied with the songs you can hear at their myspace page, I am giving you the first 30 seconds of “All My Days” off their album Movement, which you should go buy ASAP! Get on it!

.MissCommunicate.

I couldn't agree more with Miss Communicate!
But it doesn't hurt to try? :^)

I was really impressed with the Iron Horse Music Hall. It's one of the best small venues I've been to. The three different levels are great for dancing in a pack/standing off to the side/watching the action from above. The energy last night was amazing!!! Was it the freaky levels of estrogen? While that might have had something to do with it, I think the performers are more likely to blame.

Beth Ditto has a great set of pipes. She can scream. She can growl. She can sing a soulful set. She can do all this while shaking her booty and getting down. The whole band performed as one writhing, shaking, amazingly wrought entity. See them live if you get the chance!!

x_X Auntie S.
|