Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pick of the Week - The Au Pairs



I was listening to the Au-Pairs on headphones today, and was actually paying attention to the lyrics. All of their songs have strong political messages, but one stuck out as being extremely relevant to a current and ongoing controversy in our government. Torture of course. In "Armagh", written in 1981, Lesley Woods sings:

"We don't torture, we're a civilized nation…
There are 32 women in Armagh jail, political prisoners here at home…
naked spreadeagled on her back
it's a better position for internal examination
it's a better position for giving information
An armed guard squad she gets a beating
bleeding and wounded she's stopped eating"
.excerpted.

I never knew what she was referring to but I looked it up today, here is a good link.
But the words, “We don't torture, we're a civilized nation” just kept ringing in my head.
And I wanted to share it with you. I highly doubt any of the members of the band would mind. They don’t even have a website. Allmusic.com has a pretty good bio.

Click here to listen


.MissCommunicate.
|